So I hosted on a shared host and a VPS for my Docker playtime. Now I have moved to a dedicated server. My dedicated server is hosted through OVH as of writing this. I opted to make this move so I could have 3 VPS roughly the same size as what I spent 20 bucks a month on a pop. I also still have the ability to stand up 2 more VPS for personal purposes.
For this I decided to use an old, and rather cheap tool I used at a previous company. SolusVM.
Now I won’t go into how to install this, just a couple errors I found and how to fix them. Solus documentation does a right good job on explaining it. First of all, my VG was already filled and mounted thanks to the way the Custom Partitioning works in OVH.
In this panel I had originally seen my volume maxed out. In some searching and asking previous coworkers I was pointed towards an article that suggested there *may* be an issue where some partition was mounted to a VG in the LVM. This was the case. I tried to do the logicial thing and do an vgremove on it. However, it would seem that the partitioner in OVH control panel when installing your OS actually mounts this. This may be obvious to some as you have to give it a / path but to some it may not be. It took me a moment to realize what it was truly doing. This little tidbit means that it couldn’t actually remove it. So I decided to
umount /vg (where I mounted it). This began the process. From there I used
cat /etc/fstab to determine the /dev path of the VG. I removed the /dev path via the vgremove as well as commented out /vg in /etc/fstab. This allowed the space to be available to SolusVM.
The second issue I faced was probably the most annoying. I have to give a big shoutout to SolusVM support here. I ordered a /29 of IPs from OVH to use with the VMs (Because, how else was I going to actually get anything done?) and of course I immediately hit issues with OVH again. As it would turn out when you order IPs they are, by default, locked to only the MAC address of the NIC of your server. This makes sense, but I didn’t realize this. As such I spun around and around trying to figure it out until an offhand comment from SolusVM essentially went like so.
“As you may already know, OVH is strict with MAC address” (I didn’t know yet) “Please ensure the MAC addresses listed in the OVH panel as allowed are the MAC addresses of your VPS”.
I won’t go into how to actually adjust for this, but using this information I was able to google how to add a MAC address to the IP Range, at least on a single IP, and then in SolusVM in the setting of the VPS you can simply update the MAC address. Once these two items were fixed we were in business.